zigzaglines connecting to center of flowchart symbols

When I draw a zigzagline from one flowchart symbol to another, for some flowchart symbols (process, input/output), the zigzagline behaves similarly to a line for connections, where it connects the edge of one object to the edge of another. When I try to use any other shape with zigzaglines, the zigzagline connects to the center of the shape, not the edge.
I've searched online and found nothing, and am wondering about this behavior. Is it intended? A bug? Issue with my system?
Dia 0.97.3 compiled from source on CentOS 7.1
Here is the exported image, you can see how the arrows are ending in the middle of shapes.