Problem Creating Custom Shape

Hi,

I attempted to follow the instructions to create a custom shape, but it has a problem.

I created my shape and exported it by extension as a shape.  I created a new sheet and then added my shape to the new sheet.  The thumbnail of the new shape looks correct and I can drag it onto the canvas.  When I do this, it has the 8 handles around it, but there is nothing inside the handles, no matter how big I drag them.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick