Re: Margins for A4 sheet

Chris,

Not every drawing is a circuit diagram.  Dia is designed to be general purpose, so some tasks require that you use Dia the way a generalized program requires it.

If you want to  do circuit diagrams then the a specific software may very well be easier for that task.  However, that software will probably not do the many other things that Dia does do easily.

You can create segmented drawings very easily.  If you make the page boundaries a contrasting color to the background, then you can tell how the drawing will segment.  You can then go around the edges of it and make connection notations so you can match edge to edge.  There are even preexisting shapes that work well for this.

What you describe is going to be a manual operation because that is how it is - Dia is a general program, and no one has seen fit to automate the feature you cherish from some other software.  You are welcome to try and do it if you like.  Dia wasn't designed to do it automatically, but is was designed to make it possible for you to write code for it any way you like.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Chris Green <cl isbd net> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 09:23:59AM -0400, Michael Ross wrote:
>    Right you can show the margin boundaries - if they are set to contrast
>    with the background.
>    You can change the Scale of the page at the Page Setup A menu to be
>    practically infinite if you like that. A The world can fit inside an A4
>    sheet if you like, or you can adjust it as needs be.
>    I think that Dia is infinitely adjust able once you understand the tools
>    and the work flow.

Yes, but the trouble is that if you, for example, draw a circuit
diagram and then scale it to print on an A4 page the circuit symbols
very often turn out to be far too small (or, less often, too big).

Unless the 'drawing area' defaults to something that's a sane size
(e.g. an A4 sheet) scaling things after drawing doesn't do a good job.

--
Chris Green

Put this question to yourself: should I use everyone else to attain happiness, or should I help others gain happiness?
Dalai Lama

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."