Re: thanks for nothing - a look at the uninstaller

On 02/03/2014 02:31 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Octavio Alvarez!

IIRC, Beatrice said that she uses separate directories for OS and apps
because of the use of an SSD; an explicit directory selection occurred.

Well, that was a wrong way to do it then.
You MUST install applications on the same partition as your OS to avoid
unnecessary writes. This is how WinSxS works.

I'd guess the SSD was for the OS. And what if the SSD is not big enough
to hold all the C:\Program Files?

As I said, installing applications somewhere else is a quick way to overflow
your primary partition due to the way WinSxS works. (Basically, when you
install your application on different partition, it has to COPY libraries,
instead of making hardlinks to them, as it usually would.)
It SHOULD have enough space for your applications. Smallest SSD I saw was,
like, 60gb? In my experience, half that space is sufficient for a quite heavy
workspace (3DS, Photoshop, ArchiCAD, AutoCAD and quite a ton of plugins and
additional tools supplementing the workflow).

Disclaimer: I know nothing about WinSxS. Found about it because of your
comments. I hope no to sound too pedantic.

I found this [1] from Microsoft which actually suggests offloading
program files from the system volume. I'm just trying to make a use case
for choosing a directory other than C:\Program Files and why having the
RmDir /R so exposed is more harmful than helpful.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795190 - How to address disk space
issues that are caused by a large Windows component store (WinSxS)
directory .