Compiling on Arch

When I try to compile on Arch using the git checkout, I get a problem
with aclocal. I get the common problem of getting an error that
configure.in should be configure.ac. When I change the file name, and
change the AM_CONFIGURE_HEADER to AC_CONFIGURE_HEADERS, dia compiles
fine. Otherwise, I can't get it to compile. Am I doing something wrong?
Or do I just have too much of a bleeding edge system that the new
configure has to be there? Or should I just patch it every time?