Re: Dia Visio Diagram Exchange (was Re: Dia)

Just export the diagram as *.vdx to be directly readable by Visio.
Or save as *.vdx in Visio and import it directly into Dia.

Agree for export part.
Import is different, because nobody saves to VDX from Visio -- it's
not default and MS managed to not deflate it, as a result VDX file is
3-5 times bigger for no users benefit.
Not having time and intention to make a test with good features
coverage with synthetic files, I converted some VSD samples with
vsd2odg from libvisio and corresponding VDXes with Dia VDX plugin.
libvisio demonstrates better results on files I have.
(I was surprised that Dia plugin missed most of the text in "Calendar"
sample from MS (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Calendar_vsd_draw.png),
if memory serves for middle table it has nothing special; "months" at
the top corners are probably "fields", could require a special
handling).

Last time I checked with Visio 2003 SVG was not an option and the
results achieved with Dia's VDX plug-in were not too bad.
I think I was able to open/save SVGs from Visio 2002, but I can be
wrong about it.
Anyway, SVGs generated from Visio were not exactly same bad as HTML
generated from winword, but close to it =)

--
Cheers,
Valek