Re: Non-standard Dia use: Visualisation

Well, that settles it.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Evgeniy Philippov <egphilippov gmail com> wrote:
Hello all,

Overall: I have not yet decided: will I develop my app or not.

Hans Breuer wrote:
So you don't want to use Dia's internal model (diagram, layers, objects)?
I mean a model of a completely different kind, which is on-the-fly transformed into Dia model and then displayed by Dia. Maybe it's more suitable to develop a completely different project, I don't know yet.

BTW: what's an "outside plugin"? Something not included with standard Dia?
Yes. My future app (I have not completely decided will I develop it or not) is of completely different nature than Dia, only the display/render routines are similar. So it would be at another package, not included with Dia.

Or something running outside of Dia? Or without Dia?
I'm uncertain yet.

Maybe
Dia architecture could evolve to allow such use without forking Dia into
another project. (I didn't study Dia's architectural documents yet.)

Sorry I don't understand the architectural model you have in mind.
I didn't completely build the architectural model. Too early to build it.

It might be either developing a plugin for Dia or ripping out some subset of Dia functionality to be reused in another application. What would you be "forking into another project"?
The question was about interacting of a would-be future codebase with Dia, OR breaking all relations except for heritage relation. It seems Dia team is OK with code interacting between packages.

As I said I'm uncertain about what you are looking for, but neither enabling external (as in out of tree) plugins ...

Yes, my would-be project is an out-of-Dia-tree plugin that would-be using Dia API (or using the Dia codebase metaprogrammatically, transforming into something, hooking at some places).

... nor prodividing a diagramming library are partcular high on my own personal list.

Mirko Vukovic wrote:
Maybe he means generating the XML file in Dia's format, which Dia can then display on screen, or convert to another format
No. Not this at all.

Evgeniy

Put this question to yourself: should I use everyone else to attain happiness, or should I help others gain happiness?
Dalai Lama

Thomas A. Edison

Warren Buffet

Michael E. Ross