Re: Opening DIA diagrams in MS Visio

At 16.09.2011 23:52, Philip Lafeber wrote:
[...]
My customer arrived at DIA, the open source tool to create diagrams.
They like it and want to use it. The product I support can only import
Visio diagrams. So I was wondering if I can create diagrams in DIA and
convert them to VSD. I exported first to SVG, later to VDX.
I'm not aware of connections being representable in SVG, VDX seems to support it somehow: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa167010%28v=office.10%29.aspx

In both options, the elements are saved in many parts.
Yes, they are rendered.

A block containing text
will end up in Visio as a group of a drawn box and a text element. An
arrow contains many drawing elements, particularly an arrow point.

Also, an arrow (a 1D element) is somehow interpreted as a 2D element.
This is Visio parlance, which doesn't make much sense to me. In Dia every drawing object is defined in both dimesions ;)

Something I don't understand because I think a 2D element cannot be
connected to another 2D element (in Visio at least) and I did manage to
connect an arrow to two objects in Dia.
Yes, the design of Visio and Dia differ. In Dia conections are made with handles and connection points, somewhat explained here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2008-July/msg00086.html

These results inhibit our tool to interpret the flowchart.

I assume that your tool is something you have the source code of?
For Dia it is quite simple to write an own file format exporter, either in C or in in Python (see above mentioned thread).

So one way could be to make up some new format only including the information your tool needs.

Another option could be to extend the Dia VDX exporter ( http://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/tree/plug-ins/vdx/vdx-export.c ) to also include connection information.

Also you should be able to deduce this information directly from the Dia native format.

Do you know of any good way to migrate a diagram from DIA to VSD without
the loss (or change of) information?
Nope. I even think such a tool is impossible. There are things expressible in Dia which are not in Visio. And vice versa.

I did find information about
converting Visio diagrams to DIA, but not the other way round.

Huh? Dia has a VDX importer and an exporter to VDX.

HTH,
        Hans