Re: Extensions with python

On 19/09/2011 20:56, Albert wrote:
Pierre-Louis,

Pitty.
So, my options are: work in C?

Am I correct in the assumption that there is no event forwarding to the
Python API? That would explain quite a bit of what is possible and not
possible with the API. I.e. You can retrieve information and set the
data, but there is no live interaction.

Thanks, the examples of use of the Python console are interesting.

Regards,
Albert

As said before, a quick and simple solution is to use custom shape.

New diagram type written in C is another option. Reading the code of UML
diagrams seems to me a good start,
http://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/tree/objects/UML/class.c is quite
complete :) Take in account that "building Dia plug-ins outside of the
tree is not supported." (See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2011-September/msg00035.html)

Custom shape should be sufficient if you don't need to customize the
properties dialog. You could create a specific dialog with pygtk but it
will not be well integrated (see group_props.py).

Depending on your needs, maybe another completely different solution is
best suited to solve your problem, for example using
http://wiki.eclipse.org/GEF_Description (interesting example here:
http://www.vainolo.com/tutorials/).

Pierre-Louis