Re: Dia does not support SVG as shape icon?

At 01.10.2011 20:54, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Michael Ross!

Does Dia still work when you remove the offending SVG?

Yes, indeed, it does.
I though I would give SVG a try, since making PNG readable with my limited
artistic skills is a hard task.

Have you ever seen Dia work with any icon set to SVG?

Well, no. I just though I'll give it a try.

And than you got upset that it didn't work, at least that's how I understood you complaints ;)

If yes, then maybe that is a clue it would be good to share. I have never
tried to do what you have done, or thought that it is a good idea to do so.
As far as I know Windows icons are raster not vector. Perhaps the same is
true for Dia icons. I may be old fashioned.

Well, my path of logic was quite straightforward...
Dia natively works with SVG.
Huh? Where did you get that information from? If Dia would work natively with SVG why would there be three SVG exporters and two SVG importers? (Maybe you are confusing Dia with Inkscape/Sodipodi, which indeed have native SVG support.)

Why can't it support it in one more place?
It didn't worked quite well, apparently... :(

Dia's icons are loaded via gdk-pixbuf and even though the dia-installer version seems to have pixbuf/svg support it does not seem to work very well. But even if that would work, I fail to see the benefit of rendering icons via SVG; by using the shape exporter there is one created for you with Dia.
It even was included in your shape set.

A good work around may be - do not ever try to put an SVG file in the sheet.

Well, here I tried...

You have the png. If that works then you have an OK solution for other
icons - Convert your SVG to png.

It takes more time and effort, than to say so. I still can't get Inkscape to
save icons in the size I want them, and GIMP SVG plugin crashing on attempt to
load image.
Maybe the same issue you have with Dia/gdk-bixbuf using your SVG.

[...]
Pretty sure at least crash could be fixed (just a simple check for a return
value in proper place).

Technically speeaking, I don't think it is a crash at all. Running Steffen's build from console gives:

[...]\Dia-0.97.1-0\bin>dia

(dia.exe:1200): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_win32_font_map_get_font_cache: assertion `font_map != NULL' failed** Pango:ERROR:pangowin32.c:838:pango_win32_font_finalize: assertion failed: (win32font->fontmap != NULL)

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I really don't understand why you think complaining is useful.

I don't think it's useful. Neither I said so.
But if you dont think it's useful, why do you do?

I do think I've provided most of the information required to reproduce the
issue. (I've missed the OS type/version in my initial post, though, sorry about
that.)

There are certainly more things where you can break Dia by doing something it is not made for. Complaining about them on the mailing list is not an effective way to get them resolved.

Creating a bug report at
        https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=dia
has a higher probability to be resolved (one way or the other).

        Hans