Re: Dia does not support SVG as shape icon?

Andrey,

It is good that you included examples of the problem images.  This should be helpful in getting quick assistance.

Does Dia still work when you remove the offending SVG?  Have you ever seen Dia work with any icon set to SVG?  If yes, then maybe that is a clue it would be good to share.  I have never tried to do what you have done, or thought that it is a good idea to do so.  As far as I know Windows icons are raster not vector.  Perhaps the same is true for Dia icons.  I may be old fashioned.

A good work around may be - do not ever try to put an SVG file in the sheet.  You have the png.  If that works then you have an OK solution for other icons - Convert your SVG to png.

If you want to see more about this while waiting for a developer to help, you could look among the bug reports and see anyone else has ever had this problem.  Perhaps this is already being dealt with, or has been set aside as not fixable.

I really don't understand why you think complaining is useful. Just explain the problem and someone will try to help, as soon as they have some time.  Complaints will only have the effect of making people less interested in your well being.

Try not to forget that the developers are doing this in their spare time.  I am not sure why they do it, considering the abuse they sometimes have to take.

Mike

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon freemail ru> wrote:
Greetings, Michael Ross!

> You may not know that in English the word complaint means the _expression_ of
> dissatisfaction.  The way have stated it, it could be assumed you just want
> to complain.  But, I am sure that is not the case; more than likely you
> really hope to get some help, not to merely complain about it.

In regard to the crash, it is complaint.
Program should not crash. (Basic sentence teachers were hammering into our
heads since high school.) It may close, as per request, or gracefully shutdown
in absence of better choices, but not say "oops, I crashed" and disappear.

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Dia\bin\diaw.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

---------------------------
??
---------------------------

That's all I got. To me, it's precisely fall into latter category.

> Assuming you do want help, you will need to provide more specific
> information about the failure.  Since it is a crash on startup, you should
> state the version of Dia and detailed information about your computer and
> OS.  Anything you have done differently from the installation instructions
> could be important.  You might try a reboot, and/or reinstall.  Remove or
> undo the offending action and see it it gets better.  Report about this
> activity.

> This may not be a problem of Dia.

Pretty sure it is. If I didn't mention the steps I made to make sure it's not
my fault, this doesn't mean I didn't do anything of that.

> To me the statement, "launch Dia with a shape icon set to SVG drawing," does
> not make sense.  You may wish to restate with more detail.

Get a shape. Any shape. Set it's icon to an SVG drawing. Place that shape into
Dia shapes registry. Dia crash at startup.
Isn't that what I said?

> You might want to discuss what have you tried yourself to remedy the
> situation.

Since I don't know C/C++, I can't realistically do anything, short of
reporting the problem.

> What documents have you looked at for guidance.  You could post
> the shape file itself.

Sure. Catch it in attachment. The shape in question is System-Binary.shape and
corresponding Binary.svg drawing.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 01.10.2011, <03:09>

Sorry for my terrible english...

Put this question to yourself: should I use everyone else to attain happiness, or should I help others gain happiness?
Dalai Lama

Thomas A. Edison

Warren Buffet

Michael E. Ross