Formulas in diagrams exported to LaTeX... Last known working version?

Hello-

First of all, dia is great; currently the best diagram editor for
linux as far as I'm concerned.  However, I need to put LaTeX formulas
into my diagrams, and can't get it to work.  I get the impression from
the FAQ that it worked at some point for someone.  Does anyone know of
any known working versions?  I'm willing to recompile an old version
if necessary, and to use any latex rendering path necessary.

I'm using Debian 5 (lenny) with dia 0.97.1

It seems there are at least a couple other people having trouble too:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dia-list gnome org/msg12118.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/LaTeX/comments/evpnl/export_latex_formulas_from_dia/

Thanks!
Drew