Diagrams within shapes

Hello all,
First, congrats on Dia, it surely makes the world a better place :D Now,
about my question.

Has it ever been considered (or is it possible now) to be able to
``encapsulate'' diagrams within shapes? What I mean is, for example,
putting a whole state diagram within a state shape.

The objective would be to have different levels of detail in a diagram
without it showing all at once.

Now, I understand that something similar could be achieved with layers,
but I find this way rather uncomfortable. It would require setting
layers to visible/invisible, and doing things that don't belong to the
diagram itself, but to the application. The idea is for this
functionality to ``belong'' to the diagram, and be contained completely
inside it.

Atte,
-Felipe