Re: Printing and Importing

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 18:55 +0000, Philip Harland wrote:
Dia is very smart, intuitive programme and as a non-techie I've had no
trouble orginating simple diagrams.

Good, that's one of the things that Dia aims for.

A couple of simple (I trust) questions. I've tried the archive and the
FAQ/Manual and I understand I CAN do some of the things below, but
they don't tell me how. I need a non-technical dummie's guide please.
Exactly HOW TO:

1. print a Dia diagram to the exact size I want?

In the page setup, you can set it to fit to pages, or to scale, but
there's no way to directly say 'print this 20cm wide'.  The libart PNG
export allows you to specify a number of pixels width/height.

2. incorporate a .doc .tif or .jpg file directly into a Dia file?

.tif and .jpg can be included by using the image object in the standard
toolbar.  .doc files are no go -- way too complex.

3. (if feasible) work on a .doc, .tif or .jpg file in Dia - ie change
things, add and delete stuff?

Nope.  We don't want to understand those more than to display them --
other programs are much better at that -- so unless somebody implements
embedding of other editing components, that cannot be done.

4. (if possible) pin Dia to my Start menu?

That should just be a question of dragging the icon there.

-Lars