Re: Grouping of objects

"Icons," as you call them, in the palettes (called Sheets in Dia, Stencils in Visio) are made from shapes.  Shapes are not anything more than what you have seen.  They may have the properties of flipping horizontally or vertically, or may be scaled by picking and dragging, and so on, there is no further granularity to them.

You can copy (Ctrl-C) shapes and grouped shapes from one Diagram, then paste them (Ctrl-V) into another Diagram where they may be un-grouped.

It is common to maintain a Diagram of useful grouped shapes to be used as a personal palette. It would be difficult to put very complex grouped objects into a palette so using a storage Diagram is a good alternative where the complexity of the group is not an issue..

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM, reisrocks <reisrocks yahoo com> wrote:
> a.      Is grouping supported: Can I select a  bunch of items together and treat them as one object? Can thisgroup have its own properties?

Yes, select objects and press Ctrl+g or menu Objects > Group

To ungroup objects press Ctrl+Shift+g or Ojects > Ungroup.

> b.      Can I create icons that represent groups: Instead of one leaf item, when I drop the icon in, it expands into its constituent objects

Do you mean drop an object from a sheet and the object is actually a group containing multiple objects?

I don't think this functionality is currently available, but I might be wrong.

I have two specific feature related questions:

a.      Is grouping supported: Can I select a  bunch of items together and treat them as one object? Can thisgroup have its own properties?

b.      Can I create icons that represent groups: Instead of one leaf item, when I drop the icon in, it expands into its constituent objects

Thanks in advance, and regardless, awesome tool.

-Ambar