Newbie: problems building dia from SVN

I'm trying to follow up on Steffen's suggestion to build dia 0.97 from
SVN to correct the problem I experienced with the UML Properties window.

I got these errors after downloading from svn and trying to compile:
kevinz kevinz-laptop:~/dia-0.97/dia$ ./
Running gettextize...
./ 63: glib-gettextize: not found
Running intltoolize
Running libtoolize
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'. warning: macro `AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
library installing `./install-sh' installing `./missing'
app/ installing `./depcomp'
bindings/ installing `./py-compile'
sheets/ `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
sheets/ wildcard $(top_srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
sheets/ (probably a GNU make extension) wildcard $(top_srcdir: non-POSIX variable name (probably a GNU make extension) error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
      See the Autoconf documentation.
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./' command line.

Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-db2html

checking for gawk... no
checking for GMODULE... configure: error: Package requirements
(gmodule-2.0 gobject-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gmodule-2.0' found
No package 'gobject-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GMODULE_CFLAGS
and GMODULE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

kevinz kevinz-laptop:~/dia-0.97/dia$ locate gmodule
kevinz kevinz-laptop:~/dia-0.97/dia$ locate gobject

Before I started flailing around, I thought I would ask here to see if
someone would guide my attempts to get this compiled. Also, I thought
that this might be helpful to developers. My system is Ubuntu 8.04
Heron, up to date.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.