Newbie: problems building dia from SVN

I'm trying to follow up on Steffen's suggestion to build dia 0.97 from
SVN to correct the problem I experienced with the UML Properties window.

I got these errors after downloading from svn and trying to compile:
kevinz kevinz-laptop:~/dia-0.97/dia$ ./autogen.sh
Running gettextize...
./autogen.sh: 63: glib-gettextize: not found
Running intltoolize
Running libtoolize
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
configure.in:275: warning: macro `AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
library
configure.in:5: installing `./install-sh'
configure.in:5: installing `./missing'
app/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
bindings/Makefile.am:27: installing `./py-compile'
sheets/Makefile.am:23: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
sheets/Makefile.am:23: wildcard $(top_srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
sheets/Makefile.am:23: (probably a GNU make extension)
Makefile.am:27: wildcard $(top_srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
Makefile.am:27: (probably a GNU make extension)
configure.in:275: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-db2html

checking for gawk... no
<snip>
checking for GMODULE... configure: error: Package requirements
(gmodule-2.0 gobject-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gmodule-2.0' found
No package 'gobject-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GMODULE_CFLAGS
and GMODULE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

kevinz kevinz-laptop:~/dia-0.97/dia$ locate gmodule
/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.1600.4
kevinz kevinz-laptop:~/dia-0.97/dia$ locate gobject
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.1600.4
<snip>

Before I started flailing around, I thought I would ask here to see if
someone would guide my attempts to get this compiled. Also, I thought
that this might be helpful to developers. My system is Ubuntu 8.04
Heron, up to date.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

-Kevin