Re: Single-window interface [was: a standard for diagram document format]

Thanks for changing the subject line ... that was rather careless of me!

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Maciej Jaros <egil wp pl> wrote:

It is convenient until you have 3 other windows and 3 diagrams opened and
switch between them and wan to select shapes in the mean time... Plus there
are standard shortcuts for switching inner windows - CTRL+TAB /
CTRL+SHIFT+TAB.

Only 3? I have anywhere between 10 to 20 windows open when I am
working on the diagrams I need --- including other applications. I
firmly believe that managing windows is the job of a window manager. I
use Compiz, and the Scale plugin takes care of just about any issues
with switching windows. And the "always on top" sticky bit on the
shapes palette is quite useful too.

Anyway, I think I am on the verge of starting a completely unnecessary
flamewar here. My only point is that neither is a good solution ---
single windows or multiple windows --- that fits all uses. Some people
are inconvenienced by the current multiple windows, and I am not one
of them. When (If?) Dia shifts to a single-window interface, I will be
one of those inconvenienced by THAT. It would be great if I had a
choice. An even better idea would be to just stick with what we have,
and see what happens to Gimp.

And yes, before anyone says it, "because that's how (other popular)
applications work (on windows)" is not a good enough reason.

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, Department of CSE, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/