Re: a standard for diagram document format

Where is the info describing the dia format?

It is the same as a shape?

It would be nice, the shape being the same thing as a diagram.

Cheers.

2008/6/11 Maciej Jaros <egil wp pl>:
On 2008-06-11 at 21:40 Lars Clausen wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2008, at 7:52 PM, Maciej Jaros wrote:
>
> > On 2008-06-11 18:13 José María Martínez wrote:
> >> I agree, but does anybody knows if exists any std format for
> >> diagrams?
> > I believe that if you would try to define a standard for diagrams
> > that wouldn't be too complex and would have enough functionality to
> > build any diagram you would eventually end up with SVG ;-).
>
> SVG is a vector illustration format, not a structured diagram format.
> You might end up with something that uses SVG for the drawing bits,
> but then has a layer on top that defines connection points, logical
> behaviour etc.

I think you can do all that with SVG (though it probably wouldn't look
very nice and would probably have to extend SVG a bit as Inkscape does).
But what I really wanted to say is what Diego Jacobi said - I believe
there are simply to many possible kinds of diagrams to have a usable
standard. By standard I mean something that is fairly constant which
again I believe isn't possible for diagrams. But maybe all new things
are done by people that didn't know they were impossible when they did
it ;). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed - maybe Dia's XML could become
close to a standard some day.

Regards,
Nux