Re: some quetsions about features and plugins

Am 10.06.2008 17:32, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe schrieb:
2008/6/10 Marleine Daoud <marleine gmail com>:

\me delurks.

Welcome back ;)

I would like to develop a plugin for Dia that would explore diagrams with
the help of filtering, highlighting and searching shapes based on certain
attributes,

I don't know about others, but I would be very excited to see such a
feature in Dia. And personally I would like to see it developed as a
core part of Dia itself ... not just a plugin.
I don't buy this "not just a plugin", so I'd rather like to improve on the things possible from a plug-in instead of being forced to develop every prototype in the core.

There are many uses for  such a system.

1) The first that comes to mind is changing the properties of some
objects. Imagine being able to select "all red lines" and then making
them dotted, for example!

Already possible with a plug-in, namely selec_by.py - but apparently not well advertized.

2) This would also be useful for improving the properties dialog ...
in its current state, the dialog becomes mostly useless if you try to
change the properties of a large number of different objects. The box
could have buttons that show objects grouped by different criteria,
and allow the user to change properties for these selected subsets.

As already mentioned I'm not sure I have understood the "filtering ..." idea. Didn't it mean selecting objects based on certain criteria, rather than selecting attributes of a group of objects?