Re: Avoiding connection conflicts/cross-overs in UML diagrams

This is a good idea, in fact we are thinking of outsourcing a project that is going to do just this on a related type of editor. I am trying to get them to move this to dia actually rather than a new invention of the wheel. That said, the way to go is basic monte carlo / optimization as it is easy to implement and works. If you have your head around the GUI / DIA code internals (which I do not) , the math side is relatively easy.  I can help if you need. For straight lines you need just the coordinates and sizes, For the other straight lines you also need the line info and the "turn" point thingy. For Bezier curves things would be a bit complicated.
But for the first three if you can work out where that info is stored (and modified obviously) it would be pretty easy to do.
-regards,
-avi