Avoiding connection conflicts/cross-overs in UML diagrams

Hello

I want to make dia automatically lay out connections on UML diagrams so that
they avoid hitting other objects and crossing over each other as much as
possible. My uncle pointed out that MS visio does a pretty good job of this
on-the-fly.

Are there any scripts that will already do this? (I would be happy to have it
as a keyboard shortcut) If not, how should I start going about making one?

Also, if I wanted to make it re-arrange the nodes optimally (graphviz-style)
how easy would that be?

David.