Re: dia for floor plans

Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
hello

I am very new to dia, and I was wondering if there are some templates
to use dia to draw baisic 2D floorlayouts

we use Visio for this now, and visio has a tool that can calc square
feet inside a shape. How would I use dia to do this?

visio is one of the last few hold out apps then our office can be windows Free.

Thank you for your input

Sam Fourman Jr.

You could write (or contract) an extension to dia to do this calculation since it's easy if you have the dimensions of an object. You can even do it in python look here for some examples http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/python.html

Otherwise consider a more CAD oriented application like QCAD.

Alex