Re: feature request: horizontal/vertical lines

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe wrote:

2008/12/21 Christian Ridderström <christian ridderstrom gmail com>:

Consider two boxes of the same size one below the other, with two
connectors on each side, i.e., each side is divided into three equal parts
by the connectors. If you want to connect the left connector on the bottom
of the top box, and the right connector on the top of the bottom box,
alignment is of no help. As a work around, what I do in this case is create
small anchor objects that I can align vertically, and then either delete
them or hide them somehow.

I've used this approach as well, but I found it to be more work than
snapping to the centre. Typically I'd use a line that I try to make
invisible by setting it's colour to that of the foreground. I give the line
the appropriate nmber of anchors, duplicate the line and snap the lines to
the respective objects.

PS. Is there a place to upload examples illustrating things like this?

A page here might be the right way to do it:
http://live.gnome.org/Dia

Looks good to me. There is already
        http://live.gnome.org/Dia/Examples

but in this case I was thinking of much simpler examples, so a separate page might be better. Unforutnately I can't come up with a good name for the page right now. Perhaps 'ExamplesSimple'?

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr