Re: feature request: horizontal/vertical lines

At 13.12.2008 14:12, Casper Hillerup Lyhne wrote:
Hi.

I have been using Dia quite a bit to draw UML diagrams and such. There is a problem though. When i am done connecting all the objects with lines i always find myself zooming to ridiculous levels to align the objects so that the lines between them is either horizontal or vertical.
Could you tell us with which UML diagram type you have these problems?
Most connectors in the UML set are already orthogonal-connectors, aren't you using them?

This can't be solved through snap to grid since many objects has odd sizes that don't line up.

Again: could you be more specific? Although there are "many objects" in the UML set which are oddly sized (by their content), the only one where I occasionaly have the described problem is the UML Lifeline. But there it is possible to align the connectors by adjusting the number of connection points.

Because of this my feature request is this:
Please make a line that can only be vertical og horizontal.

That way i can snap the objects on to the (now perfectly vertical og horizontal) lines, and then i don't have to go through the aligning nightmare which is never perfect anyway.

Instead of repeating your tedious task you may want to take a look at the scripting capabilities. It should be fairly easy to automate your task by moving the connected objects.