Re: Large directory listings

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 16:39 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:
We're experimenting with Dia as a tool for making maps of client
properties (we're a tree service).  We have thousands of hand-drawn BMP
or JPG files, and they're named by property number, typically something
like P24929mm.jpg.

We can open the map with Dia and edit it ... but when scrolling through
our lengthy list of existing files, Dia sometimes seems to freeze up.
Could it be that our list of files (think about 12K) is too large?  Is
the freeze-up likely due to a problem within Dia or is it more likely a
memory issue with our machines?  Or a Microsoft issue (we run Win XP).

Hope someone can shed light on this issue!

I'm not seeing anything like that under Linux with a directory of 12K
empty files, but opening the directory browser takes about 8 seconds on
my (somewhat dinky) machine.  Do other GTK-based programs do the same
for you (such as Gimp)?  Do non-GTK-based programs?

-Lars