Re: Bugs in 0.96 (was Re: 0.96(pre-9) crashes on Windows when insereting a line before ...)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Lars Clausen wrote:

IMHO, there were too many pre-releses, sometimes with an intervall in between that was too short. This discouraged me as a tester - the time was so short beween releases that I didn't feel I had the time to upgrade to the latest release.

Yes, it got kinda fast towards the end.  Is a week long enough?

I'd say a week is on the short side for a "beta" release. I think the confusion stems from the purpose of the release. If it's a beta release, I think 2-3 weeks in between is more reasonable. If the release is more of a "snapshot of what's in SVN", then a more frequent schedule is in order.

I guess another important question is if it's possible to have to versions of Dia installed simultaneously (on Windows, it's obviously possible on Linux). Then I'd be less reluctant to install a new pre-release, as I know I can always use the old version.

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you do the development in two branches, a development branch and a stable branch? (So that if for instance a bug is discovered, it can be fixed in the development branch, backport the fix to the stable branch and eventually do a semi-release?)

More or less. I'd put the release out fairly fast (basically as soon as somebody has tried the pre in practice) and then deal with critical bugs through post-releases. The bugfixes would then get forward-ported to the development branch. This would fit better with the release-early-release-often philosophy.

I agree with that philosophy in general. The problem for me is that my use of it in "production" clashes with my use of it as a tester. Being able to have two installations would fix that.

Anyway, with a two-branch approach, I don't see why you couldn't have 2-3 weeks between the betas. Development of new features can contiunue in the development branch, can't they?

/Christian