Re: Bugs in 0.96 (was Re: 0.96(pre-9) crashes on Windows when insereting a line before ...)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Lars Clausen wrote:

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with the prereleases.
Me too ;-) May I suggest to at least slowdown (preview|bugfix) releases
enough that there is some more time to find, report and fix bugs?

You mean three months isn't enough? Either we're just unlucky, or there's just too few people trying the pres to get out to enough corners.

IMHO, there were too many pre-releses, sometimes with an intervall in between that was too short. This discouraged me as a tester - the time was so short beween releases that I didn't feel I had the time to upgrade to the latest release.

OTOH, I'm perhaps not a regular tester - I occasionally use Dia for work and when I encounter a problem I try to report it. So in my case I need to use something that's reasonably stable.

I'm not worried about putting out too many releases, it's the time spent between them that seems silly. Steffen and I have releasing down to a fairly fast process by now, and with the web pages on a wiki, those can get updated much faster too. So I'd prefer to have the prereleases be a sanity check and just deal more with having post-releases while we develop the next cool thing.

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you do the development in two branches, a development branch and a stable branch? (So that if for instance a bug is discovered, it can be fixed in the development branch, backport the fix to the stable branch and eventually do a semi-release?)

cheers
/Christian