Shapes with overly large boundaries

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, christian ridderstrom gmail com wrote:

> * Something that was quite annoying is that some shapes take up a > much larger area than they appear to do on screen. Something that > happened frequently was that I got one or two extra blank pages, > simply because a shape extended invisibly to the next page. The > connection point is a good example of this. A very small thing on > screen compared to the extent it has.

 Which shapes do this?

I'll try to create a list.

>  ** Maybe it'd be nice if there was an option to display the "extent" of
>     all the shapes? (Or maybe the shapes should be changed to not have
>     such large extents).

 There's a secret setting render_bounding_boxes (changeable in
 ~/.dia/persistence that turns such rendering on.

That'll come in handy when doing the list...

I activated this setting - extremely handy for this purpose btw.
To actually show the boundary boxes, I did screen dumps and placed them here:

        http://www.md.kth.se/~chr/dia/

One screen dump per sheet. For the more complicated sheets this doesn't really help though - you don't know what shape is what on the screenshot. So below I've compiled a long list of all the shapes I found where the bounding box was at least a little bit bigger than it had to be.

Would you like me to do something else with this information, or will you take it from here? (My suggestion is to only do the worst shapes first - I've put markers in the list on some of the worst offenders).

enjoy
/Christian

So here is a list of the objects that I feel have too large boundary boxes:

* AADL
** <all of them>...                       - bad

* Assorted
** Curved Eight Point Star

* ChemEng
** fan                                  - bad
** kettle
** vessel
** knockout
** traycol
** fluidcont
** reactor
** bigtraycol                           - bad

* Chronogram
** reference                            - bad

* Circuit
** Vertical resistor ** Horizontal resistor ** Horizontal Zener Diode
** Vertical Zener Diode

* Cisco - Computer
** Macintosh
** CiscoWorks workstation               - bad
** PC Software                          - bad
** PC with Router-Based Software        - bad
** CiscoSecurity                        - bad
** Cisco CA
** WWW server
** Web browser
** Software based server
** IBM Tower
** IBM mainframe
** IBM mainframe with FEP
** Web cluster
** PC Video                             - bad
** BBS
** Diskette                             - bad
** Storage array                        - bad
** FC Storage                           - bad
** PC Adapter Card

* Cisco - Misc
** University ** Home office - bad
** House                                - bad
** House blue                           - bad
** Telecommuter house                   - bad
** Telecommuter house subdued           - bad
** MDU
** Standing woman
** Woman
** Running woman
** CiscoWorks Man
** PC Man left
** Sitting Woman right
** Mac Woman                            - bad
** Androgynous Person                   - bad
** Key
** Lock and Key                         - bad
** Satellite dish                       - bad
** Satellite                            - bad
** File cabinet                         - bad
** Car                                  - bad
** Truck                                - bad
** Microphone
** Headphones
** Speaker

* Cisco - Network (1/3)
** Network Management                   - bad
** Detector
** Protocol translator
** VIP
** System controller
** Directory Server
** Security appliance                   - bad
** VPN Gateway                          - bad
** LAN to LAN                           - bad
** SSL Terminator                       - bad
** IP DSL                               - bad
** Wireless Connectivity
** Wireless Transport
** AccessPoint                          - bad
** Wireless Bridge                      - bad
** Dual Mode AccessPoint                - bad
** Wi-Fi Tag
** Wireless Location Appliance
** Location server

* Cisco - Network (2/3)
** Lightweight AP
** WLAN controller
** Channelized Pipe
** Optical Transport                    - bad
** Optical Fiber                        - bad
** IPTC                                 - bad
** DWDM Filter
** 15200                                - bad
** 10700                                - bad
** ONS15500                             - bad
** RPS                                  - bad
** UPS                                  - bad
** Cloud                                - bad
** Cloud Gold
** Cloud Dark                           - bad

* Cisco - Network (3/3)
** Distributed Director
** IOS SLB
** General appliance                    - bad
** Bridge                               - bad
** Breakout box
** STB (set top box)                    - bad
** TV                                   - bad
** IPTV broadcast server
** IPTV content manager                 - bad
** WN2900
** VN5900                               - bad
** Generic gateway                      - bad
** Storage Solution Engine              - bad
** Content Engine (Cache Director)
** CDM Content Distribution Manager
** Service Control                      - bad

* Cisco - Switch shapes (1/2)
** Router
** Router with Silicon Switch
** NetFlow router                       - bad
** Wireless router                      - bad
** 7505 Router
** 7500ARS (7513) Router
** Edge Label Switch Router with NetFlow
** ATM Router                           - bad
** Router with Firewall                 - bad
** Optical Services Router              - bad
** Content Service Router               - bad
** Carrier Routing System               - bad
** Storage Router                       - bad
** ATM Tag Switch Router                - bad
** ASIC Processor                       - bad
** Router Switch Processor
** Generic processor                    - bad
** Route Switch Processor with Si
** PXF
** Data Center Switch Reversed

* Cisco - Switch shapes (2/2)
** Content Switch module                - bad
** Access Gateway                       - bad
** LAN2LAN Switch
** Programmable Switch
** Content Service Switch 1100          - bad
** Workgroup 5500 ** Workgroup 5002 - bad
** MGX 8240
** Universal Gateway                    - bad
** iSCSI switch                         - bad
** Workgroup Fibre Channel intelligen switch
** Multi-Fabric Server Switch           - bad
** Server Switch                        - bad
** Multilayer Remote Switch             - bad
** Layer 2 Remote Switch
** Virtual Layer Switch                 - bad

* Cisco - Telephony (1/2)
** HootPhone                            - bad
** IP Phone                             - bad
** IP Softphone                         - bad
** Softphone                            - bad
** Cellular phone                       - bad
** Mobile Access IP Phone ** Turret - bad
** Octel                                - bad
** Radio Tower
** SONET MUX
** ITP                                  - bad
** ATA
** SIP Proxy server                     - bad
** MGX 8000 Series Voice Gateway        - bad
** End Office

* Cisco - Telephony (2/2)
** Voice commserver
** CallManager
** IP Telephony Router                  - bad
** Mobile Access Router                 - bad
** H.323                                - bad
** BTS 10200                            - bad
** Generic softswitch                   - bad
** SC2200 (Signalling Controller)       - bad
** 6701
** 6705
** IAD router                           - bad
** ICS                                  - bad
** ICM                                  - bad
** IntelliSwitch Stack                  - bad
** Unity server                         - bad
** Unity Express                        - bad
** MCU                                  - bad
** uMG series

* Cybernetics
** l-integrator
** r-integrator
** b-integrator
** t-integrator

* Electric
** <all shapes really>                    - bad (connection point)

* FS
** Orthflow                             - bad
** FUN

* GRAFCET
** <almost all of the shapes>

* Ladder
** <all of the shapes>                    - bad

* Network
** General Computer (Tower)
** General Monitor (with stand)
** Storage
** General Printer
** WAN Connection
** Hub
** Modulear switch
** RJ-45 wall plug                      - bad
** scEAD Wall-Plug
** Modem
** Antenna                              - bad
** Cloud                                - bad
** Laptop computer
** A Telephone                          - bad

* Pneum
** press
** presshy
** presspn