Re: autogap handling of handles

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:38 +0100, Grégoire Dooms wrote:
Hi,
I'm concerned about the updated position of handles when autogapping the
lines.
It used to be (at least in the first versions of that feature) that the
handles would stay at the center of the objects
and only rendering would change.
Now (in some earlier version of HEAD, cannot easily update from where I
am now), the line is somehow definitely resized to its new size.
I believe this changed for export reasons.

This has some useability issues, for instance it is no longer possible
to move (or cut and paste)
such an arrow to make it connect two other equally spaced objects.

Several of the more complex connectors got their implementation from the
start the way you describe it, so I was looking to make things more
consistent.  I also believe it is important that the user can find the
handle where the line ends rather than at some fairly arbitrary spot
further along.  With the current system, even if an autogapped line
isn't selected, you can click on its tip and you will actually get the
handle, rather than moving the entire object.  It didn't have anything
to do with export, but I do believe exporting is easier with this.

It is true that you can't just drop the arrow and have it autogap, but
that change came about for other reasons.  It turned out that if you
could do that, it was very impractical to place arrows between children
objects, because the parent object would grap the arrow all the time.

What do you think of this ?
PS: Nice to see you back active on the list, Lars

Thank you, I've missed it.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>