Re: Scaling & dimensions ???

Michael D Schleif wrote:

Hello.  I am new to Dia, and it looks very promising.

I know that Dia is NOT designed to be CAD software; but, I do not need
much.  Mostly, I want something small, fast and open source.

Over the next several months, I will visit several hundred buildings,
and I need to create floor plans, including accurate locations of
several dozen points of interest in each.  Mostly, this is simple right
angles, some kind of reasonable scaling, and clearly marked distances
between interesting points.

Dia is not meant to be used like this.
Scaling is not supported yet and marked dimensions should IMHO never be part of dia.
You should have a look at CAD open-source software like QCAD or PythonCAD.

I have googled, read FAQ, and searched your archives.  I have not found
anything to turn me away from Dia; nor have I found out how to do what I
need done.

I am extremely interested in the XML functionality, since this type of
diagram is ideal for XML.
I really don't understand but if you are anxious about the format beeing based on XML you will find that in PythonCAD.
http://www.pythoncad.org/screenshots.html

Also, I wonder how easily it is to put Dia diagrams on a web page?
Export to a web supported format such as png or SVG.

Hope this helps,
--
Grégoire Dooms