Re: WMF problems

* Justin Gombos <mindfuq zianet com> [2004-04-16 19:54:51 -0600]:

<snip>
In the current example, talking about "wmf support" is too unclear
and misleading for me, since it does not really say, what we do
with wmf.

Windows MetaFile ("WMF") and Enhanced windows MetaFile ("EMF") are
simply a file formats for representing vector graphics.  The only thing
you would ever do with (W/E)MF is use it to contain a vector graphics
specification in a file.  So it's a file i/o issue, and "WMF support"
can really only have this meaning.

Yes, but conceptionally there's a module, which handles reading from
and writing to WMF modules.

<snip>
* ImageMagick support for WMF is read-only.
So an imagemagick-based WMF import filter / wmf loader.

* dia for Windows requires the user to install a series of Windows
  packages in order to build a dia installer.  And that's just the
installer ?!

<snip>
* libwmf builds, but doesn't work.  It has no interface, and it
  doesn't integrate as a back-end to ImageMagick or pstoedit like it
  claims.

* libemf fails to build.

* pstoedit fails with a "no back-end specified" error on both windows
  and linux.  It could be a user error, since there is no
  documentation to explain how to use it, and the syntax and semantics
  page lists every syntax element as optional.  It would really be
  nice if pstoedit developers would join the ImageMagick effort
  instead of going in a separate direction, but it seems they want to
  be able to sell their optional plugins.

This doesn't change my oppinion, that a wmf loader or save-module should
be called as such (wmf import/export module) and not "wmf support".

Okay, it sounds like hair-splitting, but IMHO its important to clearify it.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact metux de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481
   -- DSL-Zugang ab 0 Euro. -- statische IP -- UUCP -- Hosting --