Error loading file

I'm using Dia 0.91 on Windows. I've created a file in XML that seems to be just like the format of other Dia files I've saved and browsed. When I do a "File->Open" on it, I get an error "Not a Dia file". Is there a way to get more information about this? I've checked the file against the DTD and it validates OK.
Can anyone give me a hint as to what causes this error?

Thanks.

David Patterson
patterd1 at comcast dot net
working on a tool to drive data into Dia