Re: Text Entry [Re: direct text input for UML-message]

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
On 10 Feb 2003 16:21:03 -0600, Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu> wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

If you use TAB to move between fields then you cannot put tabs in your
text boxes.

True, unless we add some escape sequence.  But how often do you need to
put a tab in a text box?  They don't really have a well-defined meaning
there. Tab is so commonly known as 'move to next input' that I think we
can make that the general behaviour.

You can decide for yourself if it's a feature or not, but I've used
applications that use TAB to 'move to next input' and ^I to insert a tab.

That sounds like a good compromise (if ^I doesn't register as a tab).

It's a little hard to remember sometimes that TAB leaves the textbox, but
not nearly so annoying as the alternative: *failing* to leave the textbox
and accidentally altering its text.

Exactly.

Tabs are somewhat useful in textboxes whose contents are somewhat
structured.

Somewhat.  Such structure really should be done with something slightly
spreadsheet-like.

-Lars