Re: Waiting for a call, xeyes, and vector fields

Lars Clausen wrote:

Actually, I have an idea to make a multi-prop widget that's collapsible.
That would neatly take care of such cluttering, and then it'd be ok to have
it on the standard line.
Sounds great.

2.    In the xeyes demo, you probably noticed the funny connection
points floating around by themselves.  These connection points are
half-way between the line handles, even if the lines are drawn
somewhere else due of the gap parameters.
[...]

It should be in the middle of the displayed area.  Fixing that in CVS.
Go ahead if you have time and want to do it. Otherwise, I think I have figured out how to do it. Tell me if you want me to send you a diff for CVS with all of the recent changes (the CVS can't do the xeyes demo until it's patched a bit more). < if (line->absolute_start_gap || line->absolute_end_gap || line->fractional_start_gap || line->fractional_end_gap) {
<     Point gap_endpoints[2];
< < calculate_gap_endpoints(line, gap_endpoints); < connpointline_putonaline(line->cpl,&gap_endpoints[0],&gap_endpoints[1]);
<   } else {
< connpointline_putonaline(line->cpl,&conn->endpoints[0],&conn->endpoints[1]);
<   }
---
> connpointline_putonaline(line->cpl,&conn->endpoints[0],&conn->endpoints[1]);

But what happens when all gaps are
zero?  In this case, the connection points will coincide with the
handles.  Will this screw anything up?  It seems like it shouldn't,
since the box object has connection points that coincide with the
handles.  Since connection points may change in the future for this
new line object, either they should be disabled completely, or they
should be fixed to coincide with the VISIBLE line (maybe requiring
changes to connpoint_line.c), or a simple static connection point
configuration should be made with start/center/end of visible line
connections.  What do you think?

Same thing would happen if you make a zero-length line regardless of gap.
The analogy to box isn't good, as those are different kinds of handles
(non-connectible).

Yes. In fact, I patched dia-0.9 with the above code, and had problems with the xeyes demo. The field-line arrows had the connection points at the same place as the handles. So, like the case of the zero-length line you mention above, the connection point was on the handle (and the handle turned red, as if it was connected to something). When I tried to changed the gaps of one of these arrows
to 0,0,0,0, the line freaked out.

Also, with the above _putonaline changes, I could not add more connection points to version 0.9. But I have a hunch this will work out of the box in CVS, because it seems like handles can't connect with their own connection points as easily...looks like you've had problems before--that you've fixed...

We should add connection points to the ends of the visible line as well.

Dave.