Re: Software Patterns into shapes using UML shapes?

Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

Maybe the best solution then would be not to have shapes (which are really
just a structureless SVG drawing plus some metadata), but the ability to
insert a whole ("template") drawing. For instance, you start your UML
diagram; you want to add a visitor ?
        File...Insert Template...select visitor.dia... pooof ! one group
        appears, with the contents of visitor.dia inside.
        now move, ungroup and rename as fit.

I think this could be quite easy to implement, compared to adding the
ability to have shapes be fully structured dia drawings ?

(thinking about it, in fact, what I describe above *could* in fact be
packaged into the shapes toolbox; what's important is to build the feature)

I have I always thought of templates as being a start time thing, choose a template to start from. With these patterns, you would may use multiply patterns in the same drawing ( an Abstract Factory with Decorator pattern wrapped in a Facade).

I like the idea of the file insert. That seems to be a good start.

BTW, is there an archeture doc I could get a idea how this app works.

Dave H.