Re: Dia and sybols for network items

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:04:50 +0000 (GMT), Alan Horkan <horkana tcd ie>
wrote:
For example would it be nice to include a name
field in the router symbol. Can you point me in the right direction or

Would it be nice? Personally, I dont think so.

Why include it in the Shape? Why not just add text labels where needed
rather than inflicting an unecessary text box on users who dont
need it?

Shapes with properties create diagrams with structure.  Unless you can
associate the text label with the shape, nothing reading the diagram file
can discern the relationship.

I think of Dia as a visual representation system for a tree of XML data.
The fatter the nodes in that tree, the more information the diagram
represents.

(i reserve the right to completely change my opinion on this later)

When do you want to start?  ;)

N.B. SVG provides for some text information (one field IIRC).

--jkl