Re: Dia and sybols for network items

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Harald Barth wrote:

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:27:57 +0100 (CET)
From: Harald Barth <haba pdc kth se>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Dia and sybols for network items

I want to use Dia to draw networks with switches and routers and
network clouds. I have found the library with the handful of basic
network symbols but I have not figured out how to modify these symbols
to better fit my needs. For example would it be nice to include a name
field in the router symbol. Can you point me in the right direction or

Would it be nice? Personally, I dont think so.

Why include it in the Shape? Why not just add text labels where needed
rather than inflicting an unecessary text box on users who dont
need it?
(i reserve the right to completely change my opinion on this later)

give me a "these steps you go through to modify a symbol" intro? Or

There is a link in the FAQ somewhere, read the info you find there, draw
stuff, look at the shapes included with Dia for inspiration.
I strongly recommended you hand edit the XML in a text editor, make sure
that Dia has not left out any connection points (which seems to happen
with polygons sometimes and i really should file a bug report) and
personally i like to hand make my icons, as the autogenerated ones are not
very clear and sometimes you want to be more clear and represent
the concept rather than a scaled down image of your shape.

maybe someone allready made this great network symbol library and
wants to share?

Respond to this email and i will try and be more helpful.
Listing the shapes that you think need to be added would be a good start,
and possibly file a bug in bugzilla but i would suggest you/we figure out
what is required first.

Later
Alan