Help out with Dia (was Re: Minor dia build error?)

On 2002-06-23 at 16:26 +0200, Hans Breuer wrote:

A look at the mailing list should show that Dia currently has
_massive_ changes. If you don't plan to help on this it
probably would be better to not use the cvs version for the
next few days ...

OK, this bug has been taken care of by Cyrille now anyway, but
this does raise a point I've been wanting to mention...

I find myself relatively rich in free time at the moment, and
I'd like to help out with Dia. I'm not sure of the best way to
go about this and I was wondering if one of the maintainers or
more mature project members could suggest something.

Basically, I'm reasonably skilled in C/C++. I'm as good at
using and administrating *nix as the next guy, but don't have
much programming experience under it (this is really what I
want to learn).  In particular, I know next to nothing about
X/Tk/any other graphics/windowing kit. I'm an ickle bit
familiar with Makefiles, but not really the whole GNU
autoconf/automake thing (I'd like to learn more about this
too). My graphics and web skills are not bad.

I know this isn't a lot to go on, but could someone suggest a
part of Dia that could do with some work, and fulfills the
following (possibly contradictory and unhelpful) objectives:

1. Doesn't conflict with anything else anyone is doing for a
while.

2. Is small enough for me to complete fairly rapidly.

3. Would be useful but is not critical to the project progress
(would hate to hold anything up as it will be a learning
process for me and progress will be patchy --- no pun
intended).

4. Doesn't have too many toolkits/languages I would have to
learn all at once.

I'd like to trying working on something like that, and submit a
patch at the end (have to figure out how to use patch too --- I
know I'm missing a lot of knowledge here but I've just left
Imperial College with a Master's Computing degree and I'm a
fast learner (sorry about that bit of boasting there but I'm so
glad to be free of uni. at last! Woohoo! Real world here I
come! Or something...)

Anyway, any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated
and I'll try to repay Dia with some quality time :)

Regards,
Andrew.

--
Andrew Ferrier