Re: wysiwig TeX in dia

--- Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille chepelov org> wrote:
Le Thu, Jun 20, 2002, à 02:06:25AM -0700, James
Michael DuPont a écrit:

To be honest, I have not tried CVS on XML files.
mean not the DIFF. Do you mean for DIFFING the dia
output? Do you want to extend CVS proper or
transform
the XML into a DIFF freindly output?

For the specific case of dia files into a CVS
archive; been there, done
that.
What have you done?

As far as CVS is concernet, these files could
have been MS Word files,
it would have done no more good. I think it would be
wonderful if cvs was
aware of the concept of XML files; if it was able to
uncompress them on the
fly, so that an uncompressed file would be deemed
identical to the same
file, compressed.
Yes that would be interesting. But a makefile that
would transform them into diffable XML and a cvs
ignore would be a good start.

Bringing the reasoning to its end, in fact it's the
current diff/patch tool
which ought to know about XML files (and then use a
suitable and humanly
readable (a.k.a "Torvalds-editable") representation
of the difference
between two XML trees).
Yes, I have to say that that is a bit too big for me
right now. If you want me to look into it for DIA
specifically I will, but I am not ready to do anything
on that scale yet.

Fair enough. I think the right place is in LIBXML,
add in some opaque in-memory pointer system and
callbacks.. I will look into that first.

Good luck dealing with the libxml guys.
Well, it would be a patch for this project to begin
with, but yes a general persistance layer on the
libxml level with versioning and diffing of objects.

I dont want to fight too many front here.
I have too many already!

But yes, I
think the solution to
your feature request may be achieved more
efficiently by breaking the
problem into using a database back-end for libxml on
one hand, and
maintaining the associativity between the libxml
tree and dia's diagram tree
on the other hand.
Yes and the ability to diff them in memory!

The first part of the solution
may very well prove itself
very useful to other projects.

Great that we agree!