Re: Fwd: HELP!!!

On Sunday 02 June 2002 22:15 PDT, Jake Kula wrote:

When I click the icon to start it, it
starts (the DIA window comes up and it looks as if it will
start, but then it just dissapears).

A good way to have more information about what happens is
to launch a terminal (a.k.a. Konsole, Eterm, xterm, ...)
and type "dia" there.

The text that will appear on the terminal might not mean
much to you, but people here can understand it.

When I logon as the
root (system admin.), it works perfectly, but when I logon as
a user (which is 99% of the time) it doesn't work.

This indicates you have a permission problem on your
machine. Dia probably tries to perform an operation
that a simple user on your machine is not allowed to do.

Try to launch dia from a terminal, and see if you get
a message such as "Blablabla: Permision denied".

And of course, tell us what the message is. :)

I have
tried uninstalling it and then re-installing it but the
problem just doesn't go away.

While this is almost the only way to solve problems on
Microsoft Windows, it is much less likely to work on Linux.
Problems are more likely due to a problem in the configuration
of the machine, or in a missing or obsolete software package.

      I really need this package for my Uni. because I'm currently
studying Java and need to design class diagrams, so it's
really important to me.

If you are in a real hurry, perhaps you can work as root
in the mean time? This is not a good solution, but a
solution it is, nevertheless.

--
adrienbeau yahoo com