Re: Unit selection input

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, John Volpe wrote:

Hi all,

I have been using dia for some time now and I am very impressed.  Good
job.........

Over the years I have used many other drawing packages (Mechanical CAD,
PCB Layout/Schematic Capture and Diagramming).  In all the cases I am
familiar with the, the units and scale factors can be set on a per layer
basis. Idea 1 below would allow us to have separate units for each layer.

I would like to make the following suggestions.  Please feel free to nuke
them as needed.

1. All dimensions in all items/objects be kept in some universal units.
Then converted to output and from input.  This would allow the changing
of the units without changing the physical size of the objects.

That is the plan.  Currently, both internal and external units are cm.  To
avoid every internal number having a unit attached, they will be converted
upon input.

2. Scaling be specified per layer.  This would allow a background (Title
Block, Border etc.) to be scaled for the drawing.  If the drawing items
need to be scaled to fit in the paper, the background would not.

That's an ... interesting idea.  Should then rulers and guidelines change
depending on which layer is selected?

3. Allow the user to create a layer which is a scaled view of a (portion
of) another layer (set of layers).  -OR - Create a view object which
would show a scaled "view" of some portion of the drawing.  This, of
course, would allow a detail or overview view to be created.

This can be done with a separate view right now, and is certainly outside
of my current scope (units).

-Lars