Re: Unit selection input

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

Le Tue, Jan 22, 2002, à 11:19:47PM -0600, Lars Clausen a écrit:

Further delving into properties turn up a problem: The standard
properties code doesn't have a pointer to the diagram at all.  Either
one will have to be passed down through object_get_props_from_offsets(),
or the objects will have to hold a pointer to their diagram, or
something else entirely.  Cyrille, do you have any ideas?

Huh... let me see if I understand the problem.

You've got a collection of objects, some having length properties (font
height, whatever). All these properties must display length values in a
per-diagram configurable unit. Therefore, to know which length, the
properties must either be provided a pointer to the diagram, or to the
object which the must hold a pointer to the diagram. Correct ?

Correct.

[...]
When beginning to type, I was more in favour for 3). Now, the "bunch of
unrelated struct fields" problem (emphasized by the trouble naming the
struct !)problem is strongly pushing me back towards 1)

(actually, towards building a two-way navigability in the

      [diagram] ------> * [layer] -------> * [object]

link. Seen like that, a pointer from each object back to the layer, and
from each layer back to the diagram looks like a much less horrible
solution.  Besides, this even begins to sound actually good: we have the
position, bounding_box and now layer fields in the object, together they
completely define the object's (X-Y-W-H-Z) coordinates. This sounds very
logical to me. Besides, I see other cool uses, like interesting selection
modes: select layer by clicking a (non-current layer) object, etc.)

Yes, I am in favor of this as well.  I often find I want bidirectionality
in my data structures.  I shall implement this at once.

-Lars