Re: [OT] wiki (twiki)

You have to use its own custom markup, which is real pain when you know
html and are well used to adding a little html from using Slashdot and
suchlike.

No. It uses templating because a wiki is by nature dynamic. The HTML
templates are 99% HTML, and 1% "%VARIABLE%".

For the users, it does use its own "markup" if you don't want to learn
HTML, but TWiki, at least, accepts HTML as well. Add <b>bold</b> and it
will work. Use *bold* and it works, too.

I would not recommend Wiki unless you are already familiar with it.

The purpose of wiki: a place where documents can be modified, grown, and
solidified in a very quick fashion w/ multiple editors who are
geographically distant, and where such documentation should be
web-available EASILY. Sorta like what we're talking about here.

Maybe there are other varieties of Wiki that are more friendly to people
who already know html and want to use Wiki with a little subltlety

If you want, you can edit the doc in HTML then just copy/paste it into the
wiki. I wouldn't recommend it, because it would make editing and
collaboration difficult. Instead, type it up as if markup didn't exist,
sorta like email. *bold*, _italic_, and such. Things that should be
second-nature if you have worked in text-only mediums before.

If you want to get crazy and do table of contents, tables, dynamic
colourisation, and complex formatting, then you gotta learn extra stuff
which I wouldn't think documentation really needs a lot of anyway.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect