Re: New Shapeset -- What Will I Need To Do...?

On 2002.08.29 12:11 Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
Tim,

Le Thu, Aug 29, 2002, à 11:54:03AM -0400, Tim Ellis a écrit:

> Now, I know things change quickly in the Open Source world, so I'm
willing
> to revisit this, but I'd like to get some advice from the GTK
hackers
> here.

> Once I have my GTK program, I have clue 0 about how to convert this
into
> dialogues and interfaces to Dia.

> Oh, and just asking this question terrifies me. Please be gentle.

I've got very good news for you: writing new objects (if you're not
aiming
for an UML Class look-alike) is not that difficulty; StdProp objects

Not an *exact* look-alike, but it seems like it would have quite a few things in common with it--UML being a distant descendant of ERD notations and such.

Descriptions of ER representations in UML reference books are amusing: "If you need to represent x in your ER diagram, use a tagged value.", which always seems to the engineer in me like: "We know the UML is too general to unambigously represent your actual RDBMS data structures, so here's a clumsy work-around."

Andy