Re: New Shapeset -- What Will I Need To Do...?

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Andrew S. Halper wrote:
On 2002.08.29 12:11 Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
Tim,
Le Thu, Aug 29, 2002, Ã 11:54:03AM -0400, Tim Ellis a Ãcrit:
Now, I know things change quickly in the Open Source world, so I'm
willing
to revisit this, but I'd like to get some advice from the GTK
hackers
here.
Once I have my GTK program, I have clue 0 about how to convert this
into
dialogues and interfaces to Dia.
Oh, and just asking this question terrifies me. Please be gentle.
I've got very good news for you: writing new objects (if you're not
aiming
for an UML Class look-alike) is not that difficulty; StdProp objects

Not an *exact* look-alike, but it seems like it would have quite a few
things in common with it--UML being a distant descendant of ERD
notations and such.
[...]

I can only repeat my advice to do this in an incremental fashion.  By
pushing the limits of the properties system, you make it better.  Maybe
it'll end up actually being able to do the entire UML class dialog.  And I
promise you, you'll be saved a *lot* of headache.  Just start with the
things that can obviously be done with stdprops and bug us when you need
more.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor