Backtrace:
0x405f88f3 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) #0  0x405f88f3 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x080d8098 in charconv_utf8_to_local8 (utf=0x0) at charconv.c:182
#2  0x080904b2 in get_plugin_manager () at plugin-manager.c:276

Excellent.  There seems to be a plugin with a NULL name.

Next, I am pretty sure there's a way to change Dia's default
parameters, like line thickness, (basis) font size, text padding
(common for all objects), but I couldn't find this in docs / mailing
list...

There is no session-to-session setting, but line thickness can be set
from the tool box (the five parallel lines).  Global default font size
and padding is not settable, but it can be set per-object.

Ok, as a first approximation, I created dia_defaults.h with
DEFAULT_LINE_WIDTH, DEFAULT_FONT_HEIGHT,... and replaced 0.1 where I
could find it (yes, best would be to grep the whole source tree, but
sometimes it's hidden behind 0.05 * 2:-))...) with DEFAULT_LINE_WIDTH,
etc., #including <dia_defaults.h> in respective .c / .h files. This is
just a quick (I really have VERY little time for this, sorry), dirty hack
to get something at least approximately into shape (why such huge
defaults anyway? You can't fit more than a couple of flow-chart boxes on
a page with them...)

Ask Alexander Larsson, he started it:)

I can create a patch and send it to you, but you'll
definitely have to work through it, but it should be easy.

Yes, please.  It's good to have those places identified.

Ideally, as I said before, I would like to see defaults set in a config
file AND be dynamically modifiable at run-time, e.g. with a fall-down
list of font-sizes, line-widths, fonts, etc. - as is done in most
text-processors, or selectable from preferences dialog.

For some objects, the line width selector in the toolbox determines the
line width.  This should be used by more objects.

Also, why there's no include directory in dia tree?... and all global
header-files are just kept in the root directory... errgh...

(now I DO have a freetype support configured in - and yes, it does
help to reduce the padding, but you should really in configure.in
check not just for freetype-config, but for a version > x.y.z, where
FT_Get_Postscript_Name is already supported:-))

That would be 2.0.5, which is the version we already check for.

Hm, but I had it fail to link with unresolved symbol
FT_Get_Postscript_Name (I think my version was < 2.0.5, so, the test
didn't work properly).

Odd.  We use Freetypes own check, with version 2.0.5.  I haven't done a
negative test on it, though.

-Lars