Re: [RFC] moving translations off sheets ?

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

[...]
For all these reasons, and because I had a very boring Friday with a
Python editor but not my dia tree, I've begun to write a sheet-xgettext
program.  What I want is to move sheet translations off the sheet files,
and back into the primary translation infrastructure (I'll try to not
loose the translations we already have :-) )

I partially agree.  There are some other concerns:

1) If other people distribute sheets and shapes, they can't put the
translations into Dia's .po files.  So the translation will still be done
in the sheets for sheets outside the Dia distro.  Thus the translation
support must still be available.
2) The sheets divide up nicely by technical field.  If I know somebody who
knows, say, SADT translations, I wouldn't want him or her to wade through
the (large!) .po file to find those that come from SADT.
3) What if two sheets have shapes with the same description in English, but
different ones in other languages?  I can't point to any right away as I
don't know most of the technical fields, but it is entirely possible.

Can you have the in-sheet translations have priority over the .po files?
That would solve most of the above problems.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg