RE: More keybindings, 2nd thoughts...

Alan,

That was me:)  <Ctrl>+F would be a good replacement.  But what about plain F
or A?  I have set as many of my Dia shortcuts as possible to unshifted keys,
e.g., W is window zoom, P is Pan, etc.  I said "as many as possible" because
of a quirk of the Dia (GTK+?) interface.  Shortcuts are assigned by
highlighting the target command in the pop-up menu and pressing the desired
shortcut.  An unshifted key can only be assigned if none of the menu items
have accelerators (i.e., an underlined character that can be pressed rather
than clicking on the item).

Unshifted shortcuts keys don't interfere with Dia's operation, because text
input is not a typical operation. They only apply to the canvas, so when a
dialog has the focus, they are overridden.  Likewise, when a note is edited
directly in the canvas, the shortcuts are correctly overridden.

Off Topic: It would be nice if Dia had an alternative method of defining
shortcuts, so that any shortcut could be assigned to any command.  I've
tried editing the key bindings file (I forgot what it's called) to no avail.
Am I doing it wrong?  Does GIMP or another GTK+ application have code that
can be stolen?  That might be a first project that I could tackle.

I'm looking forward to your key bindings.  Shortcuts are much more efficient
than menus.

Thanks,
Rob Campbell
rob campbell att net