Re: Can we enforce beta release for the freeze

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 5:54 AM Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
The release team can do "non maintainer" releases, of course; the problem is, of course, that maintainers can be *very* protective of their fiefdoms, so the release team has to wait for either being explicitly asked to do a release, or for an answer from maintainers as to whether they'll be able to do a release. We *cannot* have it both ways: either the release team can take over your project for a specific task—do a release, keep the build running—or we have to wait until we get an answer from the maintainer.

The ideas about automating releases mentioned elsewhere in the thread sound like great time-savers, but I primarily came here to add to what Emmanuele said: I'd be quite happy for the release team to have the power to take over releasing my module if I forget, but I've seen some astonishing vitriol directed at the release team on this very mailing list when they have done similar things in the past. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't even want to get near this topic.

As a community, if we weight the autonomy of maintainers so heavily that we're willing to tolerate mailing list flames about it, then we don't also get to complain when nobody steps in to help with maintainers' tasks.

Cheers,
--
Philip