Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, 12 Feb, 2020 at 12:30, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
(b) Replace our IRC with an actual Matrix server, so we get native Matrix. Matrix is very nice as long as you're not using the abysmal IRC bridge, which is unfit for purpose.

+1

The usability of IRC is terrible for normal people and when there's a TZ difference. In fact, having a web interface is actually a great boon for non-technical people, since at most people using Linux are able to create an account on a web site.

Using something that isn't libre and that doesn't have a CoC is going to inevitably end up being the same kind of disaster as GitHub and GitLab when the company ends up being trash and/or they pull the freemium carpet out from under us.

Further, anything that isn't libre and that doesn't have a native GNOME client is a massive show of no confidence in our own platform. Fractal isn't perfect, but it's better than no client.

Personally I'd like to see XMPP being used, but we don't have any decent, modern, native clients (although Dino is shaping up pretty nicely - https://dino.im/) and it seems to have been put in the too-hard basket by too many people.

So despite it's failings, I'd rather see us use Matrix rather than IRC or something like RocketChat.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>